Hen is missing some feathers. What could it be?

henmommy

Songster
11 Years
Jul 17, 2008
Upstate NY
I noticed a few days ago that one of my EE's appeared to be missing some feathers on her back (just before her tailfeathers) and her cheeks. Today it is worse. Is this a sign that someone is picking on her? All my hens are about the same age and have been together since I got them. It has been cold here (in the single digits), but all look heathly and no frost bit. She is still laying. That's about all I can tell you. I am still new at this and wonder what the experts thing.

If she is in with your rooster, that's probably the reason.
wink.png

Yes she is, but has been all winter. Should I remove him? He got me in the leg last week and I am just looking for an excuse to make soup!

Last edited:
he's NOT doing it in a mean way,, its just when he mounts her he has to hang on, and they break the feathers on the hens back,,, it is 1 of the most common things there is with birds.
all you need to do is get her a saddle,,i imagine if you use the search button and look for saddles,, you'll see how many people here make and sell them.

I just noticed one of my EEgers has lost all her beard feathers. I'm thinking its a partial molt. I had a RIR that lost feathers around her neck a couple weeks ago and the new ones grew back within a few days. Mine are with a roo too so I hope he's not that rough.

You may also want to check for lice and mites, take a close look at her vent area, and the bald spot... check under the wings too... if you see anything crawling around on her, you need to get rid of them...

I just asked this question not long ago because this is my first winter with hens. I was told that winter is very hard on them and when I watch them for any period of time I see all the hens pecking each others feathers out. My poor beautiful cochin hen look like a NN cochin! She is broody on top of it and she is pecking her own feathers out of her chest now to line her nest! UGH! My hens look like crap!~ LOL I can't wait till spring! And if yours is missing feathers on her back end most likely the rooster...I just started noticing my hens with the bare backs just a while ago as well. I think because they are all bored and are all staying inside the hen house that the rooster mates them more often. I have 11 hens with only one roo and they still have the bare backs~!
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom