hen is molting, been picked on very blood butt and broken feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dianneg, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Dianneg

Dianneg In the Brooder

Dec 4, 2016
    3 yo speckled sussex. been molting, has lots of pin feathers. today saw she had broken and missing feathers on tail, all around and under tail is bloody, she has a few patches on her body that looks irritated and scabby as well. She isn't eating, crop is soft. I have isolated her and sprayed poultry protector on the open wounds. Question is should I leave the broken feathers alone?

chickens really likes this.
  2. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Depends on what your talking about. Can be pulled out with pliers..

3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Up the protein in your feed during molt and cut back on treats. Dry cat food is great as added protein as a treat during molt.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post some photos?
    Is the blood coming from the broken pin feathers or does she have wounds and/or possibly a prolapse that has been pecked?

It's hard to know if you need to pull the broken feathers or not...could do some damage if not careful.

It's good that you separated her. You mention that she's not eating and the crop is soft. Re-check the crop first thing in the morning before she has had anything to eat/drink, the crop should be empty.

Let us know how she's getting along.

5. Dianneg

Dianneg In the Brooder

Dec 4, 2016
    She is eating and drinking now and she has pooped. I didn't get a picture before we put bluekote on her. The broken feathers look like old ones, they appear to be hollow. She is picking at herself a lot. Have you ever seen a chicken damage it's own skin when it's molting? I think that may be what's happening. Then of course her sisters started pecking when she started bleeding.

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Do you have photos?
    If she is picking at herself and causing damage, then I would suspect that she has depluming (feather) mites which cannot be seen by the naked eye.
    You would still want to look for poultry lice and mites too.

For depluming mites you need to use Ivermectin Pour On, this can be found at Tractor Supply.
    Dosage is .09 ml per pound of weight applied to the skin behind the neck. Repeat in 10-14days.

For external parasites lice/mites use a Permethrin based poultry spray or dust.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Dianneg

Dianneg In the Brooder

Dec 4, 2016
    Thanks for your help!

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  8. Dianneg

Dianneg In the Brooder

Dec 4, 2016
    Is this kind okay? The one you showed was for cattle. When I get her out to treat her I will get some pics of her skin and feathers.

Attached Files:

9. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I don't know anything about the sheep drench one:idunno

The Pour On for cattle is what is normally used.

10. Dianneg

Dianneg In the Brooder

Dec 4, 2016
    Thanks, I'm going to exchange it, better safe than sorry. The sheep drench appears to have a much lower percentage of pesticide in the solution.

Cragg Klefor and Wyorp Rock like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: