Hen is not walking and has boils on breast

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cforeman, Jul 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cforeman

cforeman Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2010
    What is wrong with my year old hen? She has not walked much in 5 days. She may take 3 to 5 steps but she just lays on the bottom of the coop. Now she has 3 sores on her breast.

2. The Chickens' Maid

The Chickens' Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    CT
    Feel her legs. Do they seem to be straining when she stands/walks? It may help to compare the amount of muscle on her legs to the legs of another hen to see if she has lost any muscle. Is she eating and drinking? What does her poo look like? Are her eyes bright and alert? How is her breathing? It's possible that the sores on her breast are from being on the floor so much, or they could be from trying to move/jump up and down, missing, and landing on the floor.
    Can you post pictures of the sores and the hen? That might really help, too.
    I hope she's alright!

3. cforeman

cforeman Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2010
    You can feel her try to stand. She actually can walk but seems to wear her out. She is eating well. I will check her droppings tonight when I get home. I have her in a separate cage and she appears to be a little better. Sores are smaller. Thanks,

4. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by