Hen is pretty much eating herself... Help!! *PICTURES POST 7*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MattalynsBarn, Mar 29, 2011.

1. MattalynsBarn

MattalynsBarn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    I have 8 hens and 1 roo, and one of the hens won't stop plucking herself. What should we do? She's more or less bald at this point, and has a lot of wounds. It's 90% her, about 5% the other hens, and about 5% the roo. Culling is not an option, we love her too much!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Have you checked her for mites? Or is she getting enough calcium or protein. I am not sure. I am not an expert just trying to help. Hope someone with more knowledge comes and answers. Good luck. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    Well I don't think culling would be at all needed if she is just picking herself. Can you see any mites/ lice? Is she broody? a tad bit more info would be helpfull and a pic as well.

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Well, you could put a hen saddle on her, and that might at least help her back area to grow back some feathers.......

I have heard of parrots and different pet birds that plucked themselves naked.....It's sort of like an obsessive compulsion, I would think.

There may be a yucky tasting spray that you could apply to her.....Also, feathers are made up mainly of protein. Perhaps you could give her some extra protein (like in some wet catfood)....Maybe she's somehow got a protein deficiency.....

If you separate her, give her things to keep her occupied, like a flock block so she will have something else to peck at other than herself. She really won't like being separated though.....Chickens really love company.....

I would probably just put the hen saddle on her....It's sort of like a cape that goes snugly over her back......Maybe you can make one yourself that would have a little breast bib too that snaps around.......This would keep her from pecking herself.....

Let me know how it works out......

Good luck to you and your naked little friend....

5. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I would check her for mite/lice what is she eating, I am just wondering if she needs more protein. Good luck.

6. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I would start by checking for lice/mites and put blue kote on the wounds to stop the others from pecking her. A warm soak in epsom salt might help too. (Just dry her well afterward.)

7. MattalynsBarn

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    This is what we're doing currently:
    [​IMG]

This is her right side:
    [​IMG]

This is her left side:
    [​IMG]

This is her front:
    [​IMG]

This is her back:
    [​IMG]

This is her neck:
    [​IMG]

We haven't seen any signs of parasites of any form, and non of the other chickens look like this (some have the rooster wear, but nothing like this)

8. MattalynsBarn

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    She's a Speckled Sussex, so she should be a dark brown with some white spots. So all the white you see in the pictures is skin.

9. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    [​IMG] Oh my gosh! You REALLY need to dust her for lice/mites. I'm not shure what to say to help you [​IMG] [​IMG] Good job on the coat thingy. If you dont have acces to lice dust right now you could give her a warm bath with flea/tick shampoo for dogs. And them you could dust her with ichy foot powder? [​IMG]

10. MattalynsBarn

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    The vet recommended diatomaceous (sp?) earth for a anti-mite/lice, do you all agree? And can we use an ichy foot powder with this much skin exposed? Because that might actually help. And if it isn't lice/mites, how do we stop her? Isn't there a paint that some people put on bald spots on chickens so that they aren't so visually interesting?

Hahaha the coat has been long process; she's so spunky and energetic that she figures out how to get around it all the time, so we're constantly chasing the new wounds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by