1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen is pulling out the Roosters tail feathers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mleigh, Aug 28, 2011.

1. mleigh

mleigh Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2011
    Arizona
    Is this normal behavior? Will they eventualy stop or is he destined to be tail-less?? He could be beautiful, but not like this!!! The rooster is Americauna, the hens are Americauna, Buffs, and Barred rocks.

2. Stuck in the Coop

Stuck in the Coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    North Central, MO
    I have a similar problem. My head pullet won't put up with the cockerels advances and the only thing she can grab is his tail as he runs away. Most of his feathers are still there but really ragged. I'm hoping once she starts allowing him to breed this will stop. (along with many other irritating teenage roo behaviors).

Are they laying yet? Perhaps your situation is similar to mine and the girls are just running him off because they are not ready yet? Is he new to the flock? It could be pecking order fighting also.

3. mleigh

mleigh Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2011
    Arizona
    I got them all at the same time, and they have been laying for a month or so.....I originally had 10, and as of last weekend, I now have only 5 left. Coyotes attacked. Maybe they got the one responsible!!!

We will see if he starts getting some new ones!! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by