hen is REALLY loud! help! asap i have to go to work at 1:00!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LindsayB, Jun 6, 2008.

1. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Okay, yesterday we gave away one of our chickens and now our other hen is being really loud. She's going in and out of the coop clucking and making really strange noises. I had no idea chickens could get this loud! When will it stop?! right now I have her in the house in a dog crate lol!! help me, I dont want my neighbors mad at me!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  2. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    Sounds like she's worried about losing her friend. Perhaps the noise is to hopefully lure the missing hen back to the coop? Maybe she will quiet down in a few days, after getting used to being alone.

Curious, why did you give the other hen away?

PS; Is it true, do "blondes have more fun"?

3. LindsayB

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    My aunt really liked it, it was a black australorp.....I didnt really care for it too much lol. It wasn't friendly and I like them with a little more color.....

4. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    I added 4 new pullets Monday. The hens already on the coop did the same thing. Very vocal for a couple days. Now it appears they're one big happy family.

5. LindsayB

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I just dont want her to keep screeching like this, I have neighbors and I dont want to start trouble with them.....do you think if I went and added another adult hen she would calm down??? my other chickens are only 12 weeks and she is 20. any ideas?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  6. LindsayB

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Anyone? should I get another adult?

7. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    It sounds like she's all by herself now? Chickens are very social and she's very unhappy about losing her only friend.

If you can find another hen her same size you could try to integrate them and see if they will get along. She does need more chickens to be with her. Your young ones are too small to probably put with her although you could certainly try and see if they get along. Just be ready to get them apart if there are serious pecking issues.

I'm guessing (key word: guessing) that she will quiet down in the next day or so. Especially if you can become her other chicken friend by holding her a lot and talking to her.

8. LindsayB

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Okay I feel like a total idiot now!! She just layed an egg! maybe that was the real problem? She didn't lay yesterday so im guessing she was just trying to pass this one...i dont know! but shes quiet now lol!

heres a pic i just took! how funny!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by