Hen Is Sick [update:pg.2. She passed away]

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 5Chickens, Jan 17, 2013.

1. 5Chickens

5Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2007
    I posted a thread on this particular hen not too long ago thinking she was maybe egg bound but now I am thinking something else is wrong.

Symptoms:
    -Lethargic
    -Not interested in food or water
    -Constantly wanting to sleep
    -Droopy tail
    -Pale face
    -Green slightly runny poops
    -Very very skinny
    -Hard mass near her vent [cant tell if it feels bigger than normal since she is so skinny or it is something not normal]
    -Weak/unbalanced

Background Info:
    -She has been like this for the past 2 weeks or so. At first she just looked a bit fluffy. We were thinking because of the drastic change of weather that it was taking a toll on her. About 3-4 days ago I noticed that she had a sudden drop in weight and has gotten skinnier. She cant seem to fly up to roost so she just sleeps in the nesting boxes on the ground. I took her inside last night and have her with a heat lamp, vitamin/electrolytes water and her food consists of cooked egg, crushed egg shells, wet cat food and some plain yougurt. She was eating fine up until this afternoon. Now she has not 100% interest in it. She will eat a bite or two and go back to sleeping.I treated her for being egg bound yesterday morning with no results. I wormed her as well today.

Any ideas on treatment or what it could be? Should I see if my local vet can examine a chicken? I know he has plenty of knowledge in birds like parrots and such.

ETA: I may put her back outside tomorrow [since the weather will be warming up] under a heat lamp with her friend and see if she starts to perk up again. If she does still continue to decline I will probably take her into the vet to be humanely euthanized.

Thank you!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  2. Buffygirl

Buffygirl Out Of The Brooder

I have had this happen to one of my girls before.

Here is the link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/638195/not-egg-bound-whats-wrong

She died 3 days after the last post.

I first thought it was ascites. I then thought it was egg yolk peritonitis, but later concluded that she had ovarian cancer.

If it is ascites her abdomen will feel very swollen, as if it is filled with liquid.
    I don't know much about egg yolk peritonitis.
    If she has cancer, there isn't much you can do.

Another possibility is coccidiosis, in which case you will need to give her Corid. I wouldn't, though, until the wormer is out of her system.

If you think you know what it is please update us so we can help you some more.

By the way, most vets knows very little about chickens. Even those who specialize in other types of birds.

3. 5Chickens

Dec 13, 2007
    Thank you for your input. I have looked at each of the possibilities listed and it doesn't feel like ascites. As her abdomen is normal feeling but just enlarged. And I guess cancer is still an option. I don't think it is coccidiosis as I have seen that before and she isn't exhibiting many signs of it. But still not throwing it totally out of the possible issues.

Thank you!

4. Buffygirl

You're welcome! Glad I could help. I hope this turns out good for you. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. 5Chickens

Dec 13, 2007
    As I am researching more I am coming to the conclusion of something along the lines of ovarian cancer, internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis.
    Is there anyway I can make her happier or more comfortable or do I need to let her peacefully go? I don't want her to have to keep going if she isn't comfortable.

6. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Sounds like a possible case of internal laying. I just had a hen with this condition. I did surgery on her my self and removed a large mass of egg yolks that is squished together would have been at least the size of a baseball. Here is the link (i hope) of the thread that I had about it. My hen BTW is doing great, I just did the surgery on her last week so I have no ida if she will be able to lay again. However that was not as important to me as just saving her life. Good luck, let me know if you want any more detailsof what I did/found. [​IMG]

7. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
  8. 5Chickens

Dec 13, 2007
    Thank you for your response! I am not sure if surgery would be an option for her as I don't have a vet nearby that is knowledgeable in chickens. And I don't feel quite comfortable doing it myself. Thank you for your suggestions though! Do you have any sort of idea that would be best for her other than surgery?

9. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    There really is no known "cure" for internal laying. The surgery I did on my girl was something I needed to do. I didn't feel right culling her, I couldn't stand seeing her just waste away, and I couldn't afford a vet bill. I can understand surgery isn't for everyone. So sorry about your hen. Wish I had more answers for you.. [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Buffygirl

My hen lived for a month uncomfortably before she died. I decided she was in too much pain, and the day I was going to put her down she died on her own. If you don't like to cull and don't know anybody that will do it for you then that is what the avian vet can do for you (although the cost of that is through the roof)

Try anything and everything. Don't consider the worst yet. If you want you can give surgery like pachickenlover. Whatever you think might help, but don't do anything major (like surgery) unless you are POSITIVE what is wrong.

Please keep us posted so we can offer help and know how your girl is doing.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by