1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen is sitting but no chicks. DAY 30+ What should I do

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rudkin, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Rudkin

Rudkin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2013
    On February 10th I noticed that one of my hens was sitting on some eggs. I have gone out there to collect the eggs from the other hens. Most days I have only been getting 1-2 eggs a day from the 3 hens that are not sitting. When I check on the hen that is sitting. There are brown eggs and blue/green eggs under her. But today is March 10th so 4 weeks or 30 days she has been sitting on eggs. I have not seen any chicks. There are 3 broken eggs next to her. So I don't know what to think or do. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!

2. ajr

ajr Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2009
    Oklahoma
    I am in a similar predicament. Only no broken shells. All eggs fully intact. Hope some one answers your question. And how should I go about removing the eggs and the hen? I have never had this happen before. Usually 21 days and beautiful little chicks.

3. Rudkin

Rudkin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2013
    Yeah I'm hoping to figure something out soon. We converted a old dog out into a coop and there is a "attic" type thing and the hen is up there so it will be pretty difficult to move her without making her mad.

4. ajr

ajr Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2009
    Oklahoma
    I finally got some chicks. Hope you can get some answers and figure out what to do with your hen.

5. AmyLang

AmyLang Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2012
    I had something similar happen here...if you see three broken eggs, there are probably 3 chicks under wing. I had one hatch that I didn't know had until I saw a little piece of shell. Mama Hen must have told the baby to be quiet..because I never heard a peep out of the little chick. But, the little chick is a few weeks old and doing great! Hoping that is the case for you!

6. ajr

ajr Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Quote: So how did things turn out?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by