Hen is sitting, but not producing eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by skullgrrrl, Feb 3, 2017.

1. skullgrrrl

skullgrrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2012
    I have had two situations with egg laying that I wonder if there is a genetic link. The first, was with an EE pullet. She didn't start laying till she was 10months old (6 months later than her sister) and within the first week got a prolapsed vent and I had to euthanize her.
    The second, is a SL Polish x EE. She started laying normally, but after about 2 months she laid either soft or brittle shelled eggs often out in the yard or from the roost bar (so they broke when they hit the floor). I gave her additional calcium and after a few months there was modest improvement (I ate them, but didn't sell or try to hatch them).
    She took a lot hiatus and now is back to laying, sort of. I see her in the nest box but there is no egg. Sometimes she switches nest boxes but still no egg. She acts like she's laying but for all her efforts I think she's only laid a couple of eggs in the last few weeks. Even at the best of times she only laid 2x's/wk. Why is she acting like she's laying if she's not? She's otherwise healthy.
    Is the lack of egg production in this case a genetic issue?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Some hens just aren't good layers. She must feel like she needs to lay but nothing comes out. It's possible there's something internally wrong with her.

3. skullgrrrl

Sep 10, 2012
    yes, i think that's just the way she's built. she's an attractive hen who lays a green egg so i don't mind keeping her. i'll keep monitoring her to see if her production picks up. at least she's not laying brittle shelled eggs which break (& the other hens eat) or in weird places anymore.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Sometimes brittle eggs can be caused by an immature shell gland or things like a slight respiratory problem. Hopefully she just needed to develop a bit more, or work the glitches out of the system.

It's also possible she's playing around with the thought of going broody, so she's hanging out in the boxes more. With her being half polish you never know, they can be a bit goofy those polish chickens.

5. skullgrrrl

Sep 10, 2012
    I'm happy to report that at almost 2 yrs of age my Polish x EE is finally starting to lay regularly - normal, blue eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by