1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen is sitting on eggs, need advice

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MyDivineComedy, Mar 29, 2011.

1. MyDivineComedy

MyDivineComedy New Egg

Nov 30, 2010
    Hi there,
    I am pretty new to chickens and I have a hen that's been sitting on eggs for a while now and I am wondering what to do when we hit 21 days??

She is in a nesting box (still in the coop with the other hens & roosters) it's off the ground a ways so should I be conserned about that if the eggs hatch? Do I need to move them down lower so they don't fall... I have read what to feed them if they hatch, do I still need to dip their beeks in water or does momma show them that?? Any other advice (does and don'ts) on raiseing them with mom would be great!

I am also wondering if they don't hatch within a reasonable amount of time do I just take them all away and forget about it? She started sitting on them around the 15th of March and has been adding to the nest the whole time she now has 8 under her ( I know other hens have laid eggs in there too) I marked them but today she has two more than when I marked them early last week sometime...I know that isn't the way to do it but I am new so forgive me! I will know better for next time I guess. I will mark these two and now I will check everyday and take any new ones away!

I have no way of knowing which ones were laid first so do I give her lots of time to try and hatch out the last ones laid even if the first ones don't hatch or do I take them all out after say like 30 days?

I am really hoping at least some hatch out, that would be exciting!
    Thanks for any advice in advance!!

2. dsowens15

dsowens15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Winchester, TN
    First off [​IMG]
    I wouldn't wait till day 30 maybe to the 25th day. she will stay up on the nest untill she feels that she need to take the first ones to eat and drink. You shouldn't have to show them how to drink its mama's job, but if you feel you need to you can just watch them to make sure they all know how to. Hope this helps.

3. chicken crazed 1o1

chicken crazed 1o1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Dugald , Manitoba
    I would move her to a place were their is no hens to peck at the chicks:rolleyes:

4. YYZ

YYZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Maine
    Hens are so smart.....smarter than us at times.

Welcome Mydivine from a recent member here myself who loves reading all the informative posts.

5. heather454ss

heather454ss Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2011
    MESA, AZ
    Hi there! My hen is sitting on eggs as we speak. This is what i do and i don't know if its right or not as i am new to hatching chicks. I take my hen with the nesting box out of my coop and make her a special place for her where she will be alone. its up to you to take them away but i do after about 1 hour or so just to make sure the babies are okay and get them eating and drinking.

good luck on your hatching.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by