Hen is standing still with eyes closed not eating

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lojo694, Mar 28, 2017.

1. lojo694

lojo694 Just Hatched

Mar 24, 2017
    My girl red is usually very inquisitive especially when I enter her space. She usually comes running to see what I have for her to eat. Today she just stands and stares or closes eyes like she's asleep. Very odd for her. I usually can't get near her but today I could walk right up to her and she wouldn't move. Sometimes wrong and I don't know what.

2. [​IMG] [​IMG]Hmmmm... I don't know what the problem could be.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  3. pallas

pallas Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2016
    about a year ago when i was taking my dog to the vet I noticed that they had a chicken there I asked the staff why, and they said that she was sick. they let me look at her but said not to touch, and they had her in a box and she wasn't moving and her eyes were closed. it seems similar to the symptoms of your chicken. try taking her to the vet and separate her from the rest of your flock watch them as well just in case she is not the only sick hen. also [​IMG]

4. DeYoungs

DeYoungs Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2017
    [​IMG], we have had this same problem with the eyes. We have not had anything work 100% yet with the eyes. Best of luck with this and hopefully somebody will chime inn.

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi [​IMG] Welcome To BYC

More info would be helpful-
    Can you post some photos?
    How old is she?
    When was the last time she laid an egg?
    Is she able to eat/drink?
    Can you take her to a vet?

If she hasn't been eating/drinking, then see if you can get her hydrated - offer her some poultry vitamins in her water.

6. lojo694

lojo694 Just Hatched

Mar 24, 2017
    Stopped eating this afternoon. She bent over to drink and water came out of her mouth as if she's already drank but couldn't swallow it. She lays every day sometimes every other. There's two hens and we got four eggs yesterday that weren't there the day before. Kind of strange. She's about a year old. We got them from someone a few months ago. No problems until today. They were living wild so she can be hard to get a hold of. I haven't been able to get my hands on here to feel her crop but it looked full this evening. She's a sex link.

7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    If she is having liquid/water run back out her beak, then she most likely has a crop issue. Check her crop when she is roosting then first thing in the morning before she has had anything to eat/drink. It should be full at night/empty in the morning.

Crop issues are usually cause by an underlying condition like Cocci, worms or reproductive disorders. Since she is new to you and your property, you may want to have a fresh poop sample tested for Cocci and worms.

Offer her wet poultry feed only, make sure she has a source of poultry grit(crushed granite) and is drinking.

Here's a good article for you:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

8. lojo694

lojo694 Just Hatched

Mar 24, 2017
    Thanks I'll try anything. She just stands there this morning too. Not eating or drinking.

9. lojo694

lojo694 Just Hatched

Mar 24, 2017
    Her crop is empty. We did an exam but couldn't feel an egg. When we turned her upside down poop ran out of her mouth. We did a water enima and she seemed to liven back up fairly quickly. She's drinking but not really eating at this point. She's much more alert but still weak and slow.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  10. sbeth

sbeth Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2016
    One of my hens is doing the same. Her comb has shriveled up and almost blackish grey and same with her wattle. She's been distancing herself from the flock also. Can anyone help me with this?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by