Hen is throwing up please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Easter eggers, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Easter eggers

Easter eggers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    One of my hen is throwing up a clear substance can someone tell me what this is?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  2. silkeysandra

silkeysandra Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2008
    grand prairie, tx
    if you are in a hot climate, sometimes they will throw up because of the heat, sometimes because their crop is not emptying like it should.
    Heat help: freeeze water bottles large and small to place where the hens usually snooze in the afternoon. Put ice cubes in their water, and provide a shallow pan with water in it so they can get in and splash a little. I use a large flower pot saucer. Keep the cool water coming throughout the day.
    Crop help: I have massaged my hen's crop and given her more grit. You can also try a little olive oil on a favorite treat like bread. the oil will 'lubricate' the innards and help move things along.
    Coop Help: have an exhaust system of high windows or a fan to suck out hot air. See Northern Tool for a shop exhaust fan--usually around $50. Cut a hole to fit, and nail it in. It has louvers in the back that open when on and shut when not. It has been a big help keeping our coop at least under 95 here in Texas! They don't go in until around 9pm so it is in cool down by then to lower 80s at night.
    hope this helps.

3. Easter eggers

Easter eggers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    I don't give my hens grit cause I only give them a commercial deit but is that something I should give anywhere

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by