Hen is very purple

Crazyabouthens

Songster
Jun 9, 2021
United Kingdom
The last couple of days now my hen, Fliss, (she's an ex battery hen) has been very purple on her face, comb and wattle. It's more occurring in the morning when she has been coming out of the coop, that's when she is really purple, but later on at night when she is on the perch it seems to go back to normal.(red) I have also noticed that she looks quite puffed up and has been drinking more. If anyone knows what to or has some advice, please let me know. Here are some pictures of what it looks like
20220430_070253.jpg

Do you hear rattles when she breathes? As the others have mentioned, it appears to be a cardio/pulmonary issue. O2 isn't getting to her extremities.

She may have enlarged organs, and her heart is probably overtaxed by this. Usually, an avian virus such as lymphoid leucosis is at the bottom of it but you'd need a necropsy (after death) to verify it.

Do you hear rattles when she breathes? As the others have mentioned, it appears to be a cardio/pulmonary issue. O2 isn't getting to her extremities.

She may have enlarged organs, and her heart is probably overtaxed by this. Usually, an avian virus such as lymphoid leucosis is at the bottom of it but you'd need a necropsy (after death) to verify it.
She is breathing normally but thanks for the concern. Is there anything I can do to help her?

Here's a list of nutrients and foods that can help improve circulation. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/foods-that-increase-blood-flow

You don't have to feed them all at once. Introduce a couple at a time and supplement her diet. Also, put sugar in her water to elevate glucose to wake up her body.

This is palliative care. It won't cure her, just make her more comfortable in the time she has left. No, I can't tell you how long she will live. That depends on her.

Hello everyone. Thank you all for the advice and help. I was away all day so I wasn't able to keep an eye on her or help at all. When I came back at night she was lying down next to her water. I picked her up and she sat on my knee. I few minutes later she started gasping for air and her body started shaking. And then she had passed away in my arms. I'm so thankful though that I was there to comfort her and say my goodbyes. I will miss her very much :love thanks again everyone.

Hello everyone. Thank you all for the advice and help. I was away all day so I wasn't able to keep an eye on her or help at all. When I came back at night she was lying down next to her water. I picked her up and she sat on my knee. I few minutes later she started gasping for air and her body started shaking. And then she had passed away in my arms. I'm so thankful though that I was there to comfort her and say my goodbyes. I will miss her very much :love thanks again everyone.
I'm sorry for your loss. Since she was an ex-bayttery hen, she was very lucky to have you. You improved her life so much.
:hugs

I'm glad you were there in the end. You gave her a good life. Sorry for your broken heart.

Back
Top Bottom