hen isn't acting right?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LaynaDon95, Jan 19, 2012.

1. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    I noticed my white leghorn being a little lethargic today. She got into the dog fence and when Maggie started chasing her (Maggie looooves to chew on their tail feathers) she just kinda walked away. Obviously those of you with dogs that chase your chickens will note that is not normal. Especially for her because she is very flighty. When I went to inspect the damage she didn't try to run from me. I noticed some diarrhea(?) on her feathers around her vent. It was runny and brown with a nasty smell. I haven't noticed any runny/bloody poo around the yard or in her nesting box. (Where she sleeps.)

When I put her back outside she walked to the corner of the fence closest to the other chickens and laid down. They all ran to greet her. They haven't really been treating her any differently accept they won't sleep in the same tractor as her anymore... [​IMG]

Her egg laying hasn't decreased any and her eyes are bright.
    My whole flock is recovering from lice right now and I just treated them for the second time with permethrin spray. Could this be a side effect of the spray or of the lice itself? I have moved her tractor to a different part of the yard separate from the other chickens.

What do you think this is? What should I be doing for her?

Also, Maggie got enough of her long tail feathers that you could notice the difference... How will this effect her?

2. terryg

terryg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    New England
    There are so many things that can go wrong with chickens. Lethargy and diarrhea are symptoms of everything from bacterial infection to cancer. I have a FAQ with suggestions for how to diagnose a sick hen: http://www.hencam.com/henblog/diagnosing-a-sick-chicken/
    I always recommend isolating the bird until you know what is going on. Not only does this take a chicken that might spread disease out of your flock, keeps an ill hen from being bullied, but it also allows you to see what the poop is like (quantity and consistency) and also if she is laying. You'll also be able to see if she's eating and drinking - all things that can help determine the treatment.
    Good-luck!

3. terryg

Jun 5, 2007
    New England
    PS I just realized that she's in a tractor all by herself. Excellent! I had a hen that a dog basically plucked - it was a bit traumatic :) but with some TLC and ointment the hen recovered fully. Stress can cause a chicken to act lethargic, but shouldn't cause the diarrhea. Lice are always around, but if you had a severe infestation, that could be a sign of underlying disease - hens that are too sick to dust bathe will be infested - and sometimes that's the first you notice a problem. Hens are very good at hiding illness until it is late and severe!

4. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    So I should not eat her eggs right now, correct? Both things listed are laxatives. (except antibiotics) Should I really give them seeing as one of her symptoms is diarrhea?
    Thank you very much! That page was helpful.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  5. terryg

Jun 5, 2007
    New England
    The permethrin is topical so shouldn't give her diarrhea. You should be able to eat the eggs. Runny poo - which can happen from drinking too much or a laxative - is nothing like stinky, brown diarrhea that is indicative of disease.

6. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    So then I'll try the epsom salt? Detoxing the gut sounds good but "getting things moving" I don't think she needs help with.

7. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    She is already doing much better! She is much more active and no sign of any more diarrhea. [​IMG]

8. terryg

Jun 5, 2007
    New England
    Excellent news. So, did you use the epsom salt drench? It is often helpful.

9. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    I did it twice, I've also given her Kefir. (like yogurt) with cultures and probiotics for her intestines. I'm still keeping her isolated. (As best I can because the others are always trying to come down to check on her.) If she stays doing this well I'll put her back with the others next week.
    Thank you for your help! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by