Hen isn't interested in mealworm! WHY???!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by missypebble, Jun 9, 2011.

1. missypebble

missypebble Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    I have an 8 months old RIR - She USED to love mealworm and june bugs, absolutely love them! Then suddenly, about 2 weeks ago, I found she stopped wanting to eat june bugs and mealworm as one of her ALL time favorite treats. She would gobble mealworm in a matter of a mili-second, at least 6 - 8 mealworms / day if she could. Then at night, she would love to hang around in the backyard and catch june bugs then gobbled them up quickly! However, for the last 2 weeks or so, she suddenly stops eating them. She would peck at mealworm for about a dozen times then never eaten them, and she would do the same thing with the june bugs. By the time I realize something isn't "right", I first experience the horrible scene of her laying an egg without shell, next morning, a soft broken shell stuck in her vent and we managed to pull it out. I got help from Jim (super nice guy!) and Miss Lydia and many other posts on here to give her a warm bath, etc.

So....for this post, I really want to know what made her stop eating her Favorite treats? It's like seeing a child denying ice cream, except in this case, I do know mealworm is really nutritious for them. I also notice that she hasn't been eating her layer crumble much at all.

Any idea? Please help! Thank you!!!

2. missypebble

missypebble Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Just want to see if anyone knows???

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm afraid she's still sick, though I don't know much about chicken illnesses (not as much as I should anyhow). My instincts say she's ill.

Good luck to you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by