Hen isn't moving much, sitting on thighs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gwensrose, Dec 4, 2011.

1. gwensrose

gwensrose New Egg

Dec 4, 2011
    Hi! I'm 4 mos. new to chickens, having adopted a flock of 6 from friends who had to move across country.
    One of my younger hens (2-ish) started to seem really low key and was sitting oddly: on her thighs with legs in front of her. They work but she seems weak. No other symptoms, except for smelly very liquid diarrhea.
    After reading, I wondered if she was egg bound and although didn't feel anything "lumpy" gave her a warm bath and light blow dry. where she's molting that gave me feathers everywhere:) She's still eating and drinks a bit. She's sleeping in the bathtub (warmest room in a draughty house) with towels for nesting.
    The other hens are all happy and seem normal.
    They've all been going through molting and egg production stopped around Thanksgiving.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks, Gwen

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I don't know, the symptoms are vague. I think I would treat her for coccidiosis right away. That would be the most common thing. You can get it (fast) from amazon.com, it's $15, and for $4 extra if you have prime, you can get it Tuesday. It's the one in the paper envelope. It;s called Sulfadimethoxine. Or you can try feed stores for corrid, or amprol or the sulfamethoxine.

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Worms. Worms are very common in chickens and if left unchecked can consume her nutrition.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by