Hen jerking and bobbing her neck but I'm not sure why. Please Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by daisymay09, Feb 23, 2014.

1. daisymay09

daisymay09 New Egg

Feb 23, 2014
    Daisy, my 5 year old hen, has been acting like she has something stuck in her throat for about the past week now. She does not have an impacted crop but persistently bobs and weaves her neck like she is trying to dislodge something. She also has pretty loud gurgling noises coming from her crop. I've tried massaging her crop but that only seems to irritate the problem and makes her regurgitate in her mouth. I also thought she may have sour crop but I haven't noticed any smells. I took her to the vet yesterday but he didn't seem to know much about chickens and said she was fine but a little under weight and said the way she was acting was normal. But I can reassure you that this behavior is not normal. She eats and drinks fine but she is acting a little under the weather so I am worried about her. I also read up on Gape Worms and tested her using a Q-Tip but didn't see any worms and as of now she seems to be breathing just fine. She is my beloved house chicken who stays indoors most of the time so she isn't exposed to much. It is only her, so she is hardly ever around any other chickens. I love her dearly so any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    why do vets see you and take your money if they dont know anything about the chickens?? i dont know what it may be but i am sure someone on here can help you. and welcome to BYC

2 people like this.
  3. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    I just took care of one of my hens that was twitching her head, bobbing and opening her mouth. Her crop wasn't sour or impacted but was full maybe not emptying properly.

I started by gently massaging, did cause some to come up, which makes me think something was blocking and she had pigged out. It did also get irritated or she became irritated. It didn't smell bad - just like wet feed. I kept massaging for a bit to break anything up and get it moving. I stopped if any came up and waited for her settle it again in her crop.

I got warm water (added some miconazole to stop sour crop) and tube fed the water slowly into her crop. Massaged it around, she did some gurgling, pops from air being manipulated in crop. It became more liquid in crop, added more water and massaged more. Over an hour it was down over 1/2 and no more strange sounds from the crop massage.

She did a very solid but normal poo, then one that was more runny a few minutes later. She even drank more water on her own but wasn't twitching her head as much. Another thing that makes them twitch is mites/lice around the ears. I have used a small brush when dusting them to do the head around the ears.

1 person likes this.
  4. daisymay09

daisymay09 New Egg

Feb 23, 2014
    I know, it is very frustrating! Thank you for your kind words!

5. daisymay09

daisymay09 New Egg

Feb 23, 2014
    Thank you for the information Sarevan! She doesn't have a full crop but it does feel pretty mushy. How do I tube feed the water into her crop? Also, where can I get the miconazole? Do I need to worry about her aspirating?

6. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    Miconazole is the same stuff you can get for womens yeast infections. Tube feeding, can get aquarium tubing and burn round off the end to insert down to the crop. Pet store may have the large syringes for feeding too. OR if you have a feed/ farm/ ranch store ask for a lamb feeding tube kit will have all you need including the large syringe.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

As for aspirating, look in her mouth right behind tongue is the trachea for breathing, put tube in to side of mouth and it will not go in there. If unsure and you have tube in, open mouth and double check placement. Carefully give liquids or feed with tube if too much given can go back up and chance of aspirating it. Be slow and check crop to make sure not giving too much or the fullness, firmness of crop.

7. daisymay09

daisymay09 New Egg

Feb 23, 2014
    Thank you for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by