hen just died, had Diarrhea

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tweimer, Apr 19, 2009.

1. tweimer

tweimer New Egg

Mar 24, 2009
    I have 13 hens and one rooster, one of the hens just died today. Yesterday she seemed to be fine. This morning we found her just lying in a nest. She had diarrhea and was very lethargic. Her crop seemed soft. This afternoon she died.

We added the full grown rooster two weeks ago who had come from a friends healthy flock. We kept him seperated for a week and then he kept getting out of the temporary pen and in with the girls so we let him stay. She was about 18 months old. I don't know if she was laying recently or not.

I'm sad for her but worried that the others may get something and die.

Any ideas what this would be?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  2. emilyweck

emilyweck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Eugene, Oregon
    I'm sorry to hear about your hen. I don't know what it may be....maybe a parasite of some sort. Where are you located. That may help some people with their diagnosis.

3. SoJoChickens

SoJoChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Fountain Green, UT
    Sorry for your loss. We all hope that this is an isolated illness and that the rest of the flock stays healthy. The symptoms could indicate worms or some other disease so watch your flock closely for the next few weeks. If others start seeming lethargic you will probably want to investigate further before it gets more serious.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Agreed, though guessing it was some sort of internal problem, not something contagious. Hope my guess turns out right.

5. tweimer

tweimer New Egg

Mar 24, 2009
    So far the that died is the only one that shows any signs of problems. We live in Southern California if that helps.

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by