hen just died

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dmccann, Jan 24, 2011.

1. dmccann

dmccann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    My h just hollored to me u got a dead hen,i was just 10 min ago,she was on the perch inside a little sluggish,really did not think anything because it is really cold here.I am so bummed out,i can not win for losing,ready to throw in the towel!I check on the hens at least 7 times a day if not more,they have a heat bulb in the coop.I do not know what happened!

2. The Lisser

The Lisser Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

3. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    Sooo sorry [​IMG]

4. happyhappy

happyhappy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Napa, CA
    So sorry about your girl, sounds like you have lost one or two lately? We do not have the cold here but truly if you have a heat lamp in there she was weak from something else already. I know what you mean about checking on them frequently. If I see someone doing someting out of the ordinary I grab them and give them a once or twice over, if it's their time a least I know I was on the look out. I only have 7 so it's easy for me, since the DH has pretty much left the chooks up to me. Once again sorry, [​IMG] [​IMG] !

5. dmccann

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    H noticed she still has a heartbeat,in cat carrier in basement,he was outside heard a squalk,he saw the other hens going toward her.I lost one in the spring due to cocci,then we had a bear comming around,had to install electric fence,then the coyotecame around.I was watching them close cause last winter i had issues with pecking,which led to vet bills.Then in the summer the egg bound hen,and on and on.t u for listening

6. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Hi, sorry about your hen, I hope you are able to save her! I check on my hens often too but what can you do? You never know what's going on inside - ya know? [​IMG]

7. dmccann

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    Her heart is no longer beating,what could have happened ?dh said he heard a squalk,she was outside upside down,feet up,the others were around her.I had a total of 14 hens,1in all season room with purchased eggs,the 13 in the coop were giving me now today 9 eggs,my egg production fell but it is bitter cold here.Heat lamp on in the coop.Any ideas this is really tearing me up!

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have read of roosters dieing of heart attacks upside down with feet up, maybe thats what happened to your hen, so sorry [​IMG] Please don't give up..

9. dmccann

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    Thanks Miss L.

10. dmccann

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    Would cocci that the girls came down with in the spring 2010could have caused a weak heart?I am trying to make some sence of her passing.thank u

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by