Hen just died

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sami, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Sami

Sami Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2010
    Barrie
    Hi. I just found my Americana hen dead this morning. She only acted sick yesterday.. Wings were droopy didn't want to come out of coop and she looked
    Like she was waddling. When she had a dropping it was completely watery and had what I thought was tape worms chunks in it and I was going to go and get her some medication. She showed absolutley no symptoms of being I'll before yesterday. What the heck happened? Did she have an egg break on her?

2. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    [​IMG] so sorry

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  3. Sami

Sami Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2010
    Barrie
    Thanks.... Nit a nice way to start thanksgiving....(I'm in Ontario)

4. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

Waddling is a symptom of being egg bound.

5. CluckCluck18

CluckCluck18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Largo, FL
    I'm so sorry to hear about your hen. I lost a beautiful French Marans like that a few months ago. She was fine, then so sick and dead in 24hours. I think mine may have had egg peritonitis and I've learned from this site that having worms can get your hens sick pretty quickly. I hope she wasn't your only hen and so sorry that it happened on your Thanksgiving day! Try to be thankful that you were able to keep and love an amazing creature. Don't give up.....keep going. Losing my Betty has propelled me to add to my flock and expanding my coop. I even tried hatching from eggs which has been a challenging and joyful experience. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.[​IMG]

6. heatherindeskies

heatherindeskies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    So sorry!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by