Hen just died

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nroubo, Dec 20, 2012.

1. nroubo

nroubo New Egg

Jun 30, 2012
    One of our flock of 10 RI Red crosses was in the nesting box tonight, so my husband pulled her out and she started "throwing up" a clear watery fluid. She was very lethargic and weak, but otherwise looked healthy. Suddenly, she started to struggle a bit, so my husband set her on the ground and then she had a seizure and died. Any ideas of what might have been wrong? The rest of the flock looks fine, but so did she up until this evening.
  2. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    i have no idea, but im crazy sorry for your loss! [​IMG]
  3. Mskayladog

Mskayladog Chillin' With My Peeps

So sorry for your lose.
    How old was she. Had she been acting .
  4. nroubo

nroubo New Egg

Jun 30, 2012
    We got her in June and she was 18 weeks, so she was less than a year old. We didn't notice any odd behavior until tonight. When he went out to close up the coop, my husband found her in a nesting box. They don't go in them at night, so he picked her up and she was throwing up. It was so hard to watch! :(
  5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    That's just part of the dying process. Necropsies for CA residents are free, Maryland has a reasonable fee for out of state poultry. Maybe you could send her to a lab?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by