Hen just standing, slowly opening and closing eyes

Livs3Hens

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 4, 2014
Hi, my hen looks a though she is trying to lay (perhaps for the first time) but she has not chosen one of the boxes, but the one part of the coop that has concrete showing through the hay. Her eyes are opening and closing slowly and she doesn't react when I enter the coop, even though she is utterly terrified of all things human, she has been in the same spot for at least 4 hours (probably more) and only rotates in circles around the spot. She looks weak and a little delirious. I know this is not much to go on, but if someone could help at all, maybe give me a list of any possible problems for me to research that would be great. :) :) :) I think that perhaps and egg may be stuck

I would offer her some electrolyte water and give her some scrambled egg in case she is dehydrated or sick. Is she standing puffed up or lethargic? Those can be signs of coccidiosis, especially if having diarrhea and not taking food. Worms could also be a problem. Valbazen is a very good wormer to get rid of any chicken worms. Dosage is 1/2 ml given orally then repeated in 10 days. To check her for being egg bound, put on a rubber glove, and insert a finger into the vent 1-2 inches. Sometimes they do act odd when starting to lay, and they may lay in the coop floor instead of a nest box.

Thankyou, I'll check for all off these, she's still acting funny, sounds like worms
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom