1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen just started laying and blood present.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenD, Jan 22, 2014.

1. chickenD

chickenD New Egg

Jan 26, 2013
    One of my Americana Hens just started laying and her first few eggs have had blood on the shell. Today I found her dead in the pen. HELP me with knowing what took place please......David C.

2. 1876 Farm

1876 Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

It can be normal that the 1st couple of eggs have blood on them, since it is the first time they are laying. But finding here dead... I'm sorry to hear this. Any marks on her?

3. schnebbles

schnebbles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Indian Lake, Ohio
    Oh no! I'm sorry.

4. chickenD

chickenD New Egg

Jan 26, 2013
    No marks on her and she is only 10 mos old....so hasnt been laying that long....i did find her completely "wide open" after laying the egg; if you understand without me getting too specific.....that was startling to me when I first observed .....I dont know whether to consult a veternarian or what source would have information for me

5. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    The blood is fairly normal. It sounds to me like she had some defect that wasn't visible from the outside. Sometimes young birds just up and die like that. If the rest of your flock is healthy, I wouldn't worry about it. If it looks like she had something that might be contagious, then you can have a necropsy done.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by