Hen just stopped laying!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicken Slave, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Chicken Slave

Chicken Slave Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2012
    Hello all, I have six hens, one Black Australorps is the only one laying yet. She laid nine eggs and stopped. I checked her vent and it seems normal. I did notice that she doesn't seem to be seeking out the oyster shell like she was either. It is in a separate compartment of their feeder as is the grit on the other end. Neither seem to be going down. Any suggestions? The rest of the hens I feel should be laying soon if not already as well. I'm feeding a mix of Layerna, Red Winter wheatberries, rolled oats, flax seed, diatomaceous earth,nutritional yeast, and kelp powder. I will be adding corn very soon to my mix as well. Everything is organic in my feed except the Layerna. Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  2. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Your hen might be moulting, it's that kind of year.

As a side question, why are you adding anything to the Layena? Layena is meant to be a sole ration, and it's formulated as such. When you add other things you are messing with the protein content and mineral balance.

3. Chicken Slave

Oct 28, 2012
    She is only six monthsish old and just started laying, would she molt already? I decided to mix my own feed as I could not find an organic feed I liked at the time at a reasonable price. I decided to use the layerna as part of the mix as it was vegetarian and high omega 3. I didn't intend on using it as a primary food the entire time and will be filtering it out for an organic alternative when it runs out.

4. Chicken Slave

Oct 28, 2012
    Upon further inspection of her vent, it seems clear for an egg or poo but it seems hard to the touch, like there is an egg in there right behind the opening. Can they get impacted/clogged?

5. Chicken Slave

Oct 28, 2012
    Anyone else have any more ideas? She is not losing feathers either.

6. duckie mama

duckie mama Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2009
    kilgore
    sounds like she is egg bound, put petroleum jelly on your fingernad rim around her vet, even goiing inside a little bit, this will help to loosen and move the egg a little. if you do not get this egg out she will die. keep putting the petroleum jelly every 2 hours till the egg moves, be very carefull not to break the egg as it can and will damage the oviduct and cause severe bleeding.

7. Chicken Slave

Oct 28, 2012
    Thanks! I went out and got a first coat on her vent. It still seemed hard. I then came in and looked up the problem and found an English woman w/ a good video on ways to help. First she said try steaming the vent area. I did this and afterwards her vent seemed more relaxed but she doesn't act like she's trying to lay so much. I will watch her through the night and see how she does. Then she said what is basically your method of lubricating and trying to work it out w/ your finger. Final act she said to break the egg gently so it will ease out and hopefully not cut the hens vent.

On a lighter note, About two weeks or so ago I purchased two Welsummer hens who had just molted. One laid today for the first time so we have some eggs coming in again. They are 2 year old hens. My other girls are just now 6 months and should lay soon I hope. One Buff Orp. and two BLRW. I lost my Swedish Flower hen day before yesterday as she managed to get out of the pen w/ 6' high walls and fell prey to the dog. Once again I was about 10 seconds late to keep this from happening.

8. Chicken Slave

Oct 28, 2012
    I believe she was very constipated now. I had steamed her and afterwards, one of them, I think possibly her, took a HUGE poop. Her vent is normal, her tail feathers are up and she's eating normally.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by