Hen just stopped laying??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by imogene08, Oct 5, 2013.

1. imogene08

imogene08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    So I have an Australorp she is maybe 8-9 months old she always used to lay big brown eggs and sometimes two eggs! But suddenly my hens stopped laying for a few weeks and my SLW went right back to laying while my Australorp just stopped she laid on egg the other day then stopped she takes no interest on the nest boxes anymore and doesn't even squat for the rooster! What can I do[​IMG] this is her

2. cackleberrycam

cackleberrycam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2013
    Your hen might not be laying for these reasons:
    -Molting
    -Health
    -Undiscovered nest
    -Undiscovered pest
    -Improper nutrition

Good luck!

3. imogene08

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    Well I can tell you she if deff healthy and they don't free range so there are no secret nests she practices her hen song and looks at the hen boxes but never goes in she gets a layer
    Pellet and oyster shell or egg shells as weel and she has Been wormed and dusted and no other health issues she not on the bottom of the pecking order she like maybe the 3rd so I'm not sure what going on

4. cackleberrycam

Sep 28, 2013
    Well, then she might just be taking time off of laying to build up body reserves.
    This happened to my hen too. She did not even start laying until she was a year old![​IMG]

5. imogene08

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    Just got an egg from her today and yesterday!! :)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  6. cackleberrycam

Sep 28, 2013
    Good for you! I am glad she is laying for you now.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by