Hen keeps attacking flock & Broody HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jlovepj1027, Aug 24, 2016.

1. jlovepj1027

jlovepj1027 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2016
    SoCal
    I have a small backyard flock and my EE has always been the head of flock. After a few months learning we had a ROO she began to get very mean to the other hens. We are not allowed roosters and he got loud so he was out. She then began not allowing ANYONE in the coop. Never had a issue with the broody and her newly hatched chicks. Although a few times she did try and roost in their coop for the night until I kicked her out.
    Now the past two days she has been EXTREMELY aggressive to the other hens, pullets and ESPECIALLY the broody! She gashed my broody's face I treated immediately of course. How do I get my SWEET EE back that used do sing and follow me around and not attack all in the flock!? I don't know what to do! I did place her in a kennel for a couple of nights since she would not allow any of the flock in the coop. She lets them in now only she attacks everyone all day long.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  2. limited25

limited25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    That is a tough question .... don't know how to get your sweet hen back but think I would put pin-less peepers on her if she were mine. Need to leave them on for three months and then I would take them off and see how she behaves. Helped make one of my hens easier to live with for the rest of our flock.

1 person likes this.
  3. eleaserek

eleaserek Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    Billings, MT
    I would maybe try separating her during the day too for a bit. Would there be a way to put her in like a parallel run, where she can see but not touch?
    Hopefully someone else will have more advice for you!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How big is coop and run (in feet by feet)?
    How many birds?
    Ages of birds and how long living together?

1 person likes this.
  5. jlovepj1027

Mar 2, 2016
    SoCal
    The broody and her have been together since April. The other hen and Roo she had been with for quite sometime I sold a couple of weeks ago and it's been two weeks since the two newer pullets have arrived. The coop is substancial, houses 4-6 hens, they still have room. And I have two coops, the other is occupied by my broody and five chicks but houses 10-12 hens. The run is about 30ft x 8ft but they free range the yard all day long.

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I second Aart's request for info on your coop sizes. Detailed measurements: W x L x H. Without this information it's impossible for any one to give you advice that will actually be helpful. Other info that will help: How many linear feet of roosts, height of roosts from floor, distance between roosts if there are more than 1. Are the nest boxes part of the coop floor foot print, or are they hanging outside that foot print. How old are these birds? Are both coops attached to the run, or are they inside the run?

1 person likes this.
  7. jlovepj1027

Mar 2, 2016
    SoCal
    The coops are detached, the white coop is 9ftx12 and 9ft tall, has 8 roosts very spread apart, no "attached run" just located in the large stretch run. The red coop is 5ftx8ft and 6ft tall four roost bars 5ft in length and about 1/2 a foot in space. Nesting boxes are extended out of this space, I am not calculating in the nesting boxes. The red coop also has an attached run however it is always open. The two coops are about 6ft away from one another both located within my "run area" of 30ft, however the gate that leads to that is always open so they can free range.

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I'm a bit confused about how a 9 x 12 can fit inside an 8 x 30. And if the 5 x 8 is also in that 8 x 30, that leaves about 16 x 30 open space. Coops raised off the ground so birds can hang out underneath? Or are they sitting on the ground? Just trying to figure it out. I guess if I had a bird that was that aggressive, and all housing and feed issues had been attended to (4 s.f./bird in the coop, 10 s.f./bird in the run, put the flock on high protein feed- recommend multi flock, 18 - 20 % protein, limit treats, perhaps give them some animal protein)... if the aggressive behavior continued, I'd eat the trouble maker.

9. jlovepj1027

Mar 2, 2016
    SoCal
    I'm sorry 16x30, it's early and I have a lot going on. One of my hens isn't looking good this morning. Actually, the one I'm speaking of right now that's turned on the flock. The larger coop It's turned in the direction to allow run space to the run, the back side up against the fence allowing space all around and the other coop is against the far end length wise taking up all space from end to the other, so it's snug in there at the far end so allow more run space and easy access in and out of the coop.

10. jlovepj1027

Mar 2, 2016
    SoCal
    [​IMG] I just walked over to our gazebo to find my, moody hen in question, like this. I'm not sure what's going on...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by