Hen keeps falling over

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JTowner, Dec 21, 2011.

1. JTowner

JTowner New Egg

Sep 25, 2011
    Hi guys and gals! I have a hen that's about 20 weeks old that keeps falling over. If she's standing up she'll start slowly tipping over and does a somersault! I don't know if she's sick, if I should quarantine, the lady at the feed store said to give her a baby aspirin. What do you guys think it could be?

2. JTowner

JTowner New Egg

Sep 25, 2011
  3. Axle Quails

Axle Quails Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    London
    Could Be a Iron Problem?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  4. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    Looks like her balance is off. How long has she been acting like that?

5. JTowner

JTowner New Egg

Sep 25, 2011
    I just noticed it today, every time I went out there today it happened

6. Tropical Chickies

Tropical Chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Central Florida
    When in doubt quarantine anyway! Something is wrong with her, just not sure what. Maybe it could be the beginning signs to Mareks (drunken, fallen over behavior). I have a boy that can't stand, but for a few seconds and his leg sticks straight out behind him. I thought he had Marek's, but usually it's a very quick death sentence, and this boy has been living, eating, drinking, talking up a storm for a month now. What gives????!!!!

7. JTowner

JTowner New Egg

Sep 25, 2011
    I'll have to wait and see what happens tomorrow. Mareks is contagious right?

8. BamaSilkies

BamaSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    It could be a vitamin defiency. Poly visol without iron ( walmart in the baby section).

9. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    X's 2 on quarentene her. Give poly-vi-sol no/iron. Is she in good weight? Any lice/mites on her? Start with the easy stuff to eliminate that and go from there. I am sure some one will come on board that has better info..but in the mean time you can start things....give her lots of high energy foods: banana/egg/yogurt/etc......

10. JTowner

JTowner New Egg

Sep 25, 2011
    I plan on quarantining tomorrow, I'll put her in my shed and give her the poly visol with good foods and water. I'll update afterwards. If any other good ideas or suggestions come up let me know. Thanks to everyone who contributed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by