Hen keeps getting Egg-Bound! I though she was gone for good.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickLover98, Aug 16, 2010.

1. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Please, help! My hen Chica keeps getting egg-bound! The first time we were lucky, and two eggs came out, but now she can't seem to get it out! She cries and cries and it breaks my heart! She keeps sitting in the nest box, them she comes down and cries some more. She wants to lay it, but it won't come out! Anyone have a cure? Will she have troubles for life? Can anyone please help my poor little layer?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  2. ChickLover98

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Please... Anybody??? [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Can you get to a vet?

4. lacasitarojafarm

lacasitarojafarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Skagit Valley, WA
    Sounds like her vent is too small for eggs. Sounds like you may need to cull it or take it to the vet if you are willing to go that route.

5. ChickLover98

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    ok, I'm a chicken newbie... what's cull mean????

6. ChickLover98

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I don't really think I can get to a vet. She needs help!! Any one have any ideas? I have to leave in 15 min. Anyone please, fast!!! Is there anything i can do at home?

7. ChickLover98

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Her comb is extremely pale. Help! She isnt doing well! [​IMG]

8. ChickLover98

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I went back out to check on her. By this time I was in tears. I walked into the coop to get her. her comb was almost baby pink. I was crying and stood by her box. I looked at her. She was laying her head down. I couldnt tell if she was breathing. I scooped her out of the box and said "I dont wanna lose you, Cheeks" I sat her on the ground and out popped an egg! Please, how can I prevent her from doing this in the future?

9. MaKettle

MaKettle Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm a total newbie but I thought I read somewhere that you could help gently massage the egg out. I think you want to be very careful that you dont' crack the egg inside of her. I would search the boards for other threads on being egg bound.

Oh, and to "Cull" means to kill the bird.

Good luck!

10. NurseDr

NurseDr Out Of The Brooder

I'm a newbie to.. But, one of my 20 week olds was laying soft shelled eggs and acting egg bond. I was standing outside with her and out dropped an intact soft egg in the yard as she was free ranging. Then she started acting funny, ruffled, distressed not moving. She had egg dripping from her vent, no sign of shell. So I think she had broken egg in her. I read here to soak her vent in warm water and isolate her. So I filled a dish pan with warm water. Once in she settled down and stayed for 20- 30 mins, with my 11 yo son holding her in. I put litter in our dog kennel with a mug of water and yogurt. We dryed her off gently. She was falling asleep and not right. Put in in the kennel in the garage covered it with a towel and left her for the night. I thought she might be dead in the morning after reading posts here. Put, the next morning I took her out set her in the yard and she was acting normal. She laid a regular egg the next morning.

So try the warm bath, isolate with yogurt and/or cooked egg and good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by