Hen keeps going broody

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chixNW, Apr 5, 2018.

1. chixNW

chixNW Chirping

Mar 5, 2018
    I have a leg horn that keeps going broody. She is two years old now. Her first year she went broody in July and then again in September. I put her in a cage to break her each time which worked. Except no eggs for most of last summer. This year she started to lay again and guess what today she is showing signs of going broody again. I took her off her nest and put her in the run she seem to stay there but I saw the evil eye knowing she is going broody again. Has anyone ever had a hen that does this none stop? Should I give her some eggs to hatch will this help in the long run. I do have two new chicks coming April 23, can I have her raise these?

2. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    I'm no expert, have read that sticking new chicks under a Broody doesn't mean she'll accept them, has to do with timing/hormonal. I've experienced broads, some you just can't break and don't know if letting them hatch will "cure" them.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Allowing some hens to raise a brood will increase the time period between broody spells, but does not help with all hens. I have had hens raise as many as 5 broods in a season and others that raised only 1. If a hen has a history of going broody, she will do so throughout her lifetime.

TattooedChicks and ChickNanny13 like this.
  4. Just ask her nicely, " get out of that box!" If she refuses, plan on more chicks!:cool:

puffypoo22 and haileyeverhart like this.
  5. chixNW

chixNW Chirping

Mar 5, 2018
    What a bummer I love her white eggs when I get them. I can't believe my luck having only two hens, no roosters.

bobbi-j likes this.
  6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Bad luck indeed as most strains of leghorn have had the broody tendency bred out of them.

puffypoo22 and venymae like this.
  7. You need more chickens!:jumpy

sourland likes this.
  8. chixNW

chixNW Chirping

Mar 5, 2018
    I have two babies one week old in the dog cage now My brooder cage for breaking her. I have two more coming apr. 23, so I was thinking of using her for them but to scary to put young chicks with her. Who knows she could be a bad mom.

9. My silkie goes broody constantly. Sometimes she's taken a couple weeks to break, this last time, in March, it took only a few days. But I caught her early this time! The earlier you try to break them, usually the quicker they'll break.

10. chixNW

chixNW Chirping

Mar 5, 2018
    I do have a neighbor that has fertile eggs, should I do this or just keep breaking her. I cant' believe my luck I would give her the babies, as I am already getting four additional chicks and don't want any more than six chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: