Hen keeps going broody!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Wyleiria, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Wyleiria

Wyleiria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2013
    Texas
    I have a 1 year old black astralorp that has been like no other chicken I have ever had. She has been broody 7 different times. Today she went broody. It seems to happen every 3 or 4 weeks. I only have two hens, and one gets lonely when she decides she wants to be a mom. No roosters. I collect eggs every day and took away the ceremic eggs to show them where to lay. Every time, I have to lok her in a suspended cage for about 3 days. What can I do to prevent her from doing this??? The other hen also beats her up after every brood session and she acts flighty for a couple of days. My hens are very tame.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The broody instinct is very strong in some hens. Sometimes actually allowing a hen to raise chicks will extend the period between her broody sessions. On the other hand I have had hens that would raise 6 + broods of chicks per season. It's almost impossible to modify strong maternal instinct.

3. Silver Silkie

Silver Silkie Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2013
    Fredericksburg, TX, USA
    If you buy a couple of chicks from a breeder or a feed store and put them under her at night, you could let her raise the chicks. Then you could sell the chickens or keep them.

4. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    I second what the last poster said. Give her a couple of chicks to raise and see how she does. It could be easier than trying to break her constantly.

5. Wyleiria

Wyleiria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2013
    Texas
    The other hen really gets aggressive with her, but only when she is being broody. I would be afraid she may hurt the chicks. If I seperate them, then I'll have one lonely hen. I got some more chicks but it will be a long time coming for the slow introductions. I was hoping there was something to prevent it from happening in the first place. Thanks for the ideas though!

6. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    Separate them so that they can still see each other, and it should be fine. We keep our broodies in an enclosure within the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by