Hen keeps laying wierd eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TariOronar, Feb 13, 2011.

1. TariOronar

TariOronar Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    We have one hen that keeps laying splotchy eggs. The spots almost look wet. I noticed it a while ago, and thought it was weird, and didnt think anything else of it. We havnt gotten sick yet, so I guess they're safe to eat. [​IMG]
    My husband just noticed it today and is concerned it might mean there is something wrong with the hen. Does any one have any ideas?
    [​IMG]

2. 88Haywood88

88Haywood88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    Albuquerque
    I've never seen that, but my hens are giving me brown eggs with white spots on them. the spots are a r3ecent development. I think it's 'cause of the oyster shell i've been giving them. If the eggs aren't making you sick, keep enjoying them.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
  4. TariOronar

TariOronar Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    Quote:Yes she is, about 8 months. She just started laying around christmas.

thanks!

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

actually it kinda looks like a super-thick coating of bloom. There's nothing wrong with the eggs, right? Just a kinda "wet" coating on the outside?
    I don't think there's anything wrong with her or the eggs [​IMG]

6. RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather

RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Maui
    Aloha,

One of my hens have that mat finish on her eggs and it stands out but it is normal. [​IMG] So there is nothing to be really concerned about. She is fine. Unless I am missing what you are trying to show. [​IMG]

7. AlabamaChickenLady

AlabamaChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Oak Grove, Alabama
    I have a pullet that is about the same age that is laying eggs just like that. Mine is a Buff Orpington about 9 months old, and just started laying last month. Every one of her eggs are kind of splochy. Looks kind of dull in some places and stained in other places. But the eggs are just fine and we are eating them. I thought it was weird also.

8. OrphanNanny

OrphanNanny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Wausau, Wisconsin
    Look at it as an already decorated egg and start blowing them out and saving them for Easter decorations [​IMG]

9. Komaki

Komaki Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Has she started losing the color on her feet and legs yet? And does she seem healthy? I had one that did the same thing after I gave her shell. But like her, I'm sure this will pass.

10. SeaShell741

SeaShell741 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2010
    Virginia
    I'm with Tala, looks like bloom to me too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by