Hen keeps moving her tail up & down. Is she eggbound?

sleepyt

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 30, 2009
Niagara Falls, Canada
My 3 year old RIR has been moving her tail up and down since yesterday. It looks like she is trying to pushing an egg out. She is lethargic, lets me touch her which isn't normal. I gave her some oatmeal with electrolytes and some polyvisol to boost her energy but I'm not sure what else to do. Do I give her a warm bath? Anyone have any ideas?

Update: She has not joined the other girls on the roost. She is just lying on the floor. I hope someone can help me out.

Last edited:
Yes it does sound like she is egg bound. I had my first egg bound hen about a month ago and now she is perfectly healthy and laying normally. But be aware that this doesnt always happen. I have read stories of people who have egg bound hens that they got through it but when they started laying again they got eggbound again. So they had to cull. I hope this doesnt happen to your girl. I would bring her in and give her a nice warm bath. That is what helped mine. Also to make 100% sure pick her up and feel her stomache, if you feel an egg in there then that is what it is. I hope your little girl makes it through this. Good Luck!

I've got her in the bath right now. Is there a certain way I should massage her to help? Where do I feel for the egg? I don't want to press to hard and break the egg. Should I expect egg to come out in the bath?

I don't know if this would help but whenever one of my laboring mommas are getting tired or is having weak uterine tone I'll give her Caulophyllum. Perhaps it'll help.

Honey

Just massage around on her bellie and around her butt. It doesnt always come out when you give her a bath. Mine layed hers about 5 minutes after. Make sure you keep her nice and warm with towels and a heat lamp. Especially after her bath. It might take a couple of time giving her a bath.

Back
Top Bottom