Hen keeps opening mouth

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by brianp, Apr 18, 2011.

1. brianp

brianp Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2010
    We let our hens out in the yard to dig around in the yards and woods as usual. They were fine when we let them out, but noticed when we put them up that our 2 yr old buff orphington kepth opening and closing her mouth. She will stretch her neck out every so often and then just start walking around again opening and closing her mouth almost like she couldnt get something down. She also kind of appeared like she wanted to through up for a second. I picked her up since she wasnt "talking" like normal and she made a little noise. I lightly massaged it and aftwerwards she did eat a little and drank some water. This is the first time I've ever felt their crops so not sure whats normal, but her's was not as full and hard as my SLW hen in fact it felt a good bit softer. What else should I do and what do you think is the issue?

Thanks,

Brian

2. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    It may be too early to know for certain, but I went through similar symptoms with one of my older hens. She would be gasping and stretch her neck out, like something was stuck in her throat. This persisted for several days. I think it was 'gapeworm,' a worm that burrows into the trachea and can cause the bird to suffocate if there are too many of them. I dewormed her and the symptoms went away (you have to use a wormer that does more than get rid of digestive worms. VetRx, for example, wouldn't cure it as far as I know). Be warned, though, if it is gapeworm she could develop a respiratory infection, too. The two things often go hand-in-hand.

Best of luck to you! [​IMG] Hopefully someone else will come along who can tell you more!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by