1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen keeps sitting down, vet thinks cancer

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Joely, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Joely

Joely Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2012
    NC
    Hi, I'm looking for advice about my hen. She is coming up to 4 years old. She has been sitting down a lot but is bright in herself. Eating and drinking fine. Her walk is a little stiff. Not laid for a few weeks but no interest in going to the nest box.

My vet has taken x rays, fecal check and also blood work. I enclose all the images and results. She is on antibiotics (2 days of 10 day course to go), anti inflammatories and also tramadol. Vet has also prescribed milk thistle. From the x ray, my vet thinks it's possible cancer and the blood shows low white cells and liver damage. She's fine in herself, bright red comb, just sits down a lot. I don't know what else to do. I am supposed to be going on a 3 week trip next week and I'm thinking of cancelling. My husband would be taking care of her but I'm not sure if he will be able to give all the medication.

Does anyone have experience of this? Many thanks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm sorry your hen is having trouble. [​IMG] It just so happens that I have a bird with almost identical symptoms (though I have no avian vet to make a diagnosis). She is also about four years old and not laying. I've checked her over several times and can find absolutely nothing wrong externally. She walks somewhat stiffly, seems a little unstable when standing at times, and has stopped roosting, preferring to sit down a lot. However, she has bright eyes, no respiratory signs, mites/lice, external bumps, or other abnormalities, and is of decent weight, although I'm concerned that she is losing some weight because she doesn't like walking over to the feeder to eat. I've been giving her some vitamins and supplementing her diet with mealworms, which she loves, but it doesn't seem to be helping. I'm considering trying antibiotics, but I'm worried that it will stress out her system more.

Hopefully both of our hens will get better.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  3. Joely

Joely Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2012
    NC
    I'm sorry to hear about your hen. It does sound like the same symptoms. Nothing I have given her medication wise seems to be helping. I'm keeping an eye on her weight. I don't think the antibiotics are doing much but the vet said to keep her on them.

The vet did advise no cruciferous veg, like broccoli (which she loves). I'm guessing that's something to do with the liver. My girl Daisy flaps her wings, the vet said that could be for balance issues. She won't roost either. I hope the milk thistle helps. I'm assuming it's the same as humans have. It's a liquid and I give 0.25cc every 24 hours. Keep me posted. Let's hope they get better soon. :hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by