Hen killed by my Roo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by saddlebags, May 11, 2008.

1. saddlebags

saddlebags Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2007
    weatherford Texas
    Has anyone ever had a Roo kill a hen?I think my stupid rooster just did in my buff orpington (Buffy). I was just curious because she was in great health and just started laying.when i first saw them through my kitchen window he was trying to mate but she wasnt moving. he was pecking her on the back of the neck repeatedly so im not sure he didnt break her neck or something.anyways dang im mad that was one of the first chicks ive hatched in the bator she was a real sweetheart.. [​IMG]

2. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Just wanted to say I am so sorry. [​IMG]

3. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    She might have already been dead and he was just trying to rouse her. I'm so sorry for your loss.

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I am so sorry. [​IMG]

5. saddlebags

saddlebags Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2007
    weatherford Texas
    Thanks im not sure what happened but I think the Roo will have to go just in case..

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Are you sure he did it? Sounds like she may have died for some other reason, and the roo kept picking because he saw the hen "ready to mate on the gound" but wasn't responding like a normal hen would if they were ready to mate, so kept pecking to see if she would respond?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by