1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen Killed Chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Abby4501, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Abby4501

Abby4501 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2014
    I have a first time broody, who I let sit on eggs to incubate. The first one hatched early, with yolk sac still out of abdomen, and died. The second hatched early this morning and was fine with mom, until about 1/2 hour ago I checked in on them and she had clearly pecked it to death :(
    There is another egg that pipped, and will likely hatch soon. Should I leave this chick with her, or will she kill it too?? I'm so sad and sick right now...I don't know what to do. Not prepared to raise chicks, as I thought she would. But if I need to, obviously I will...don't want her killing anymore of them.
    Any advice greatly appreciated!

2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    If your afraid she'll kill them then take them. She may have killed it because there was something wrong with it to.

3. Abby4501

Sep 11, 2014
    I'm not sure, she seemed fine with this baby up until I found it dead under her. I'd like to let her raise them...but don't want to find more dead chicks.

4. scottygvsu

scottygvsu Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2016
    Northern Michigan
    I had the exact same problem with my BR broody. She killed her first two, so I took the 3rd and put it in the brooder with my CX's. That same afternoon I called a local farmer to see what he thought. He gave me the same advise I give most people in regards to chickens, let them be. So I did. She hatched her remaining two eggs and all was well. I slid the chick I Shanghai'd under her one evening, and they're all happy and healthy. If I had to guess, her first two were sickly, and she did what she was supposed to do for the flock. if I were you, I'd grab a couple right at hatch and brood them for a bit just in case. Let her hatch the rest to see what happens. If she doesn't take to motherhood, you know not to trust her with another clutch.

5. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    X2
    Usually when chickens kill each other, they know something is wrong with them and they won't live a happy life, so they put them out of their misery. Perhaps she saw an underlying disease that you did not?

6. Abby4501

Sep 11, 2014
    Thanks for the input! One egg is going to hatch tonight I think- it's been pipped all day and is peeping. I don't know if the other 3 eggs in there will hatch, they haven't pipped or anything yet. I'm so conflicted on to leave this chick with her and see what happens, or to just pull it because it could be my last one. :/

I think I'll do what you did and pull it just in case, and if she hatches more and doesn't harm them..then I'll put it back in.
    Now, do I just keep vigil and pull this baby as soon as it hatches or leave it for a bit with her?

7. Abby4501

Sep 11, 2014
    Yes that's definitely a possibility. I'm not sure if I would have known if anything were wrong with it. But it looked normal, bright and alert when I picked it up earlier.

I should also mention that she had a chick that began to hatch early(yolk sac was still out of abdomen) and I caught her pecking at and potentially trying to eat the yolk sac while it was still in the shell. I wasn't sure if she was cleaning up the nest this time because she thought it was a broken egg or what.

I'm so torn here!:barnie

8. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Not every hen is a good mother. Some first time moms have no clue what is crawling out from under them. I would watch closely, and would probably pull them all. I had the same situation last season, but I intervened before she killed it, another experienced broody took it and raised it. When letting a broody hatch you always need to be ready to raise the chicks.

9. Abby4501

Sep 11, 2014
    Thank you, I am gonna plan on pulling any more that hatch. This is my first hatch ever, but hopefully not my last!
    I don't have any experienced broody's, I had my Silkie go broody once, but I hadn't even thought of putting fertile eggs under her, so I broke her brooding quickly.
    Ive got my broody box setup now, so I'll just be waiting.

10. Abby4501

Sep 11, 2014
    Thank you all for the replies, this is such an awesome network of people and knowledge!
    Any time I have a question regarding my girls, this group always has advice :)

Wish me luck on having at least one surviving chick!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by