Hen killed chick

chickalicia

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 14, 2015
Bakersfield ca
Today one of my hens had a dead chick in its beak running around coop. I have checked all nests and there are no other baby chicks hatched. Also I cannot find the egg it hatched out of. Four out of the five are sitting in their eggs. What do I do now and how come I can't find the broken egg? Any advice please I know I have a batch or two happening soon

Today one of my hens had a dead chick in its beak running around coop. I have checked all nests and there are no other baby chicks hatched. Also I cannot find the egg it hatched out of. Four out of the five are sitting in their eggs. What do I do now and how come I can't find the broken egg? Any advice please I know I have a batch or two happening soon

The chickens ate the egg shell. I had a broody who hatched one that I found dead in the nest and mom was out of the box. I took the other two eggs inside, they were chirping. I spent the whole day laying on the couch (don't have an incubator) with eggs under my shirt, on my belly, hands over shirt and eggs until it was time. They hatched in the evening and I raised them in the house.
smile.png
Idk what you'll be able to do with a lot of hatches starting!

I don't know either I believe possibly up to 20 with both theses batches. Why did this hen kill it. Should I just see what happens or take them from the mothers who are good mothers. They let me feel under them to see if the broken egg was there or other new chicks I have four new chicks inside that hatched from incubator

Most people seperate their broody hens to prevent this sort of thing, but if you've only got one that's not broody I would seperate that one instead.

If the chick had got away from mum and couldn't get back to the nest it may have been cold or dead already when the hen found it. it's an intruder/ something new so it gets pecked, if it wasn't dead from cold then pecking from a hen means death. a chick is about the same size as a mouse which is a tasty morsel for a chicken.

I agree with ChristieB about the intruder thought. Unless the Mother hen is present to protect her chicks from other flock members then the other chickens will peck at the little ones. Some chickens can be pretty mean to new chicks.

Back
Top Bottom