Hen killed rooster question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by viperdragon, Feb 21, 2012.

1. viperdragon

viperdragon New Egg

May 22, 2011
    Hey all not new to the site but new to posting. My wife decided to adopt a rooster without asking me. I did everything i could think of to introduce him to them. He was inside for a week to make sure he didn't have anything wrong with him. I put him out in a cage for a week so my hens could get use to him. They still tried to fight him but not just one different one every time i check on him. They settled down so i started letting him out for a couple times a day and thought they were doing good then i went out the other morning and found him dead and he had no marks on him before he died. Why you think they killed him. Forgot to add they are a mixed flock and he was a bantam.

2. gootziecat

gootziecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
    If he had no marks on him, I would question whether the hens did anything to him.

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I agree maybe he had a heart attack !!!

4. darin367

darin367 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Shelton, Wa.
    if the hens killed him you'd know it..... he'd be a mess........ a chicken isn't real neat when on the attack.... your roo had other issues....

5. naillikwj82

naillikwj82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2011
    Olympic Peninsula, WA
    The link below has a section for basic Necropsy.

http://ohioline.ag.ohio-state.edu

If you still have the carcass, advance your knowledge of chicken anatomy, and disect him.

6. viperdragon

viperdragon New Egg

May 22, 2011
    thanks for all the replys

7. 27strong

27strong Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2011
    Your hens didn't kill the rooster. There would be a bloody mess. He had died from something else. I have the same problem. Birds die without a cause. You can cut him open and see. But I say what killed him was something in the area like a virus. If you can provide way more information. Weather..etc...stuff like that. Unless you have chicken assassin that somehow learned how to get behind a rooster and snap his neck then it was environmental. Its generally a pain in the butt to introduce new to a flock. Especially males. I had introduced new 2 new hens to a flock....took them 3 months to get along. Even now they are still chasing others around.

8. 27strong

27strong Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2011
    where is the link to necropsy? Can I have a direct link?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by