Hen killed: yes But the others refuse to return to Coop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SunshineSusie, Feb 23, 2013.

1. SunshineSusie

SunshineSusie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2013
    Two days ago, 5 hens were freaking out in the fenced backyard. I went out to look and there, on the floor of the coop, was one of my Rhode Is Red pullets. I picked her up and tossed her out into the back field. I never shut the coop door, since I've never had an attack.

That night, none of the hens would go in the coop at night. I couldn't find them.

Tonight, I went hunting the country lane for them and found them in a neighbor's open shed. One-by-one, I picked them up and put them in their coop. They were not happy about it. None would get up on the roost (where they usually step over one another to claim their fav spot). They were all bawking.

Since the attack, only one egg has been laid an egg in there.

My question is this:

Do I need to do anything (clean, refresh all sawdust, etc) to make them feel safe again? I have locked them in.
    Will they stop laying for awhile?
    Do I need to round them up every night? Or will one night let them know it's okay?
    Should I keep them fenced in their 'run' for a day or two near their coop? I usually just let them wander the neighborhood.

Thank you for any input you can provide.

-Sunshine Susie
    Westport, WA

2. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    Wow...I would try keeping them shut in the coop and visit them regularly with treats and water and such so they start to see the coop as safe again...also, make sure that the coop is safe. My chickens didn't like to leave their coop...I think because I only ever gave them treats and stuff inside the coop...but then I started giving them lots of treats when they are hanging out in the yard, and now they hang out in the yard a lot more.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    can you tell what killed your hen, so you could safeguard from happening again?

4. SunshineSusie

SunshineSusie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2013
    Okay - I am keeping them in their coop. It's pretty predator-proof. I hope they start to feel safe again. Thank you for your input.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by