Hen killing baby chicks

sdilegge

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2018
I don’t know what to do. I had a silkie hatch out 5 chicks 3 days ago within the coop. She sat with them for about a day and then decided to take them out with the flock. I usually let them free range half of the day, but have been leaving to door open all day to give the best chance of the older hens not being worried about the chicks. Mom took them out foraging that first day! The first 2 days I watched pretty closely and two older hens were curious but never went for the chicks. I thought it was just curiosity as they just hung around and watched. I figured I was good. Then day 3! Suddenly I noticed two were missing. I was worried a crow or something got them but I found the bodies about 15 ft away from mom. Then an hour later she had only 2! I found it alive with a wing ripped off, it was horrible. Really horrible. Then the next moment one of the barred rocks dove on mom going for the babies and I had to run in an grab them! Mom the silkie was trying to fight but no match for the barred rock. I’m so mad and stunned! 3 babies dead in about 2 hours. She is now separated with her remaining 2 babies (I created a wall in the run). What should I do?! Will the barred rock always be a chick killer? When can I reintroduce them?

I would keep the wall up in the run until the chicks are around six weeks old and big enough to somewhat defend themselves. I'd make sure there is a divider between the two sections of the run where the chickens can see each other too and get used to each other without actually being able to interact. I believe in the wild a chicken will brood her chicks away from the flock for a time to avoid this kind of in-fighting.

Back
Top Bottom