hen killing chicks

fayediddles

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2015
I have 2 brooder hens setting on eggs, but after a couple hatched out the hens attacked and ate the chicks... does anyone know why? I want to remove the chicks as soon as they hatch

Thanks I don't have an incubator yet, but I am taking the chicks out and putting them in a safe room with heat. So you know why both of these hens would kill and eat the babies? should I allow them to try mothering again later on?

Some hens seem to register hatching chicks as intruders, and attack and kill them. Its certainly true that not all hens make good mothers. I, personally, would not allow them to brood again. In fact, I'd cull them. They'll continue to attempt to brood, which means they wont lay. Either way they aren't producing, which makes them useless in my eyes. But, lots of folks will continue to use homicidal broodies. They allow them to sit, and remove the chicks to a brooder as they hatch, but to me, that kind of makes using them moot. Anyway, whether you let them try again is up to you. I suppose it just depends on how much you want to deal with them. Good luck.

I agree I'm not going to use them again, I'm buying an incubator to hatch my eggs until I get another brooder

I just had my best hen who has had raised two sets of chicks before kill all 4 of her babies. I was so upset when I opened coop. I took all eggs and put in bator even from another broody just in case. The sweet broody will get two back. As for my Mille she will never sit again! I just don't understand 2x she was fine but not this time? Any ideas? Last chicks were black these were yellow.

Back
Top Bottom