1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen killing chicks...

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by kungfuchick, May 14, 2016.

1. kungfuchick

kungfuchick New Egg

Apr 16, 2016
    Upstate NY
    Hi everyone! I posted previously about my broody hen sitting on chicken and guinea eggs. She is resolutely broody, but not a good mom at all! She's hatched 6 babies, 3 guineas and 3 chicks. I found most of their bodies on different days, near her, either deceased or in distress. I removed one live keet, that was similar age to our other chicks, and it survived (it is amazing how similar keets and americauna chicks look!). She is in the enclosed area with the chicks, and had another keet under her, for over 12 hours. Then she tossed it out and crushed its skull with one blow. We tried for hours to save it not knowing what exactly occurred, because it was still rather alert...but to no avail.
    Please help me to understand this...it is all so traumatic for my young sons and myself.
    Thank you.

Stacy

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Oh...that sounds nightmarish, and very traumatic! [​IMG] I have no advice to offer other than don't use her for a broody in the future unless you're right there on hatching day to collect them and put them in a brooder. I guess, just like humans, there are a small percentage of animals of all types that simply don't make good mothers...

3. FarmerMac

FarmerMac Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2014
    Virginia
    That is terrible, is this her first gem hatching eggs? Or has she raised chicks in previous occasions?

4. driftergal

driftergal Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2014
    I feel your pain and trauma. This week was my first experience with my hens hatching eggs. Three little chicks pecked to death.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by