Hen killing her chick

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by macnugget, Apr 2, 2009.

1. macnugget

macnugget Chillin' With My Peeps

I had my br bantam sit on 4 eggs for the whole 21 days and then today a chick hatched and she pecked to almost death. I was able to get the bloody chick out and put it in a brooder. The chick was barely alive. but tonight after some tlc it has gotten up and has had water and food. I took the other 3 eggs that hadn't hatch yet away from the hen and put them in the bator. Has anyone had this happen before? and what might have caused it

Nick

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Almost sounds like a first time broody. You can never predict what they'll do, sometimes they go berserk without cause. Sounds like you did just right.

3. macnugget

It was her first time hated to take them away but didn't want them dead either
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Cut pics... I spent some time in Richmond and Winchester to the northwest of your location... beautiful area and wonderful people.

5. macnugget

I was a transplant from NY it ok But I miss the openest of where I'm from western NY

6. Jeff9118

Jeff9118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Greenup KY
    Although I'm told this is very rare I once had a hen do this also. Not sure why but she was an older hen, My advice is never to set her again unless you plan to take the eggs away a few days before they hatch.

7. macnugget

yeah I'm done with that her sister and her both sat on the eggs one would getup to get water the other took over. to bad I thought she would be a good mother .. WRONG:(

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  8. john in wa

john in wa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    as a child my great grand mother raised chicks and chickens. when we had a hen peck the babies to death she would make chicken and dumplings out of her. same goes for a hen that learns to crack eggs and eat them. I would not let her set again.

9. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    A first time for her and she may have been totally confused. You could try her again and see if it is just her or it was just a first time thing.

I mean their hormones tell them to sit on the eggs but nothing tells them why?

Shame but she may be a bad mother or could she turn out to be a great one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by