Hen lacks vitality, loosing weight, sluggish, please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NicktheBrit, Dec 10, 2010.

1. NicktheBrit

NicktheBrit New Egg

Dec 10, 2010
    Hi

I have a golden buff hen coming up on one year old and sadly she is rather I'll. She lacks vitality. She has lost weight over the past 10 days and just recently, past 48 hr, I have become very worried about her. She appears to have an appetite and eats with vigor when food is made available to her. However she does not forage for grubs in the garden anymore. She has never had a healthy looking comb. Her comb is small but red. She will spend much of her time during the day wondering about feather puffed out as if cold and head tucked into her chest again as if cold. She does not stand up straight like her flock friends. She is unstable on her feet. I haven't managed to check her excrement for abnormalities.

She lives in a very pleasant, clean, sheltered hen house at night with six other hens (Black Stars, Barrd Rocks, Golden Buffs), has access to clean dry food, fresh water and access to the garden for grub foraging and grass. All other hens are on fine form.

I would hate to loose her and would be most grateful for any insights and advice.

Thanks for reading.
    Nick

2. fl_deb

fl_deb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    Is it possible she has worns? Has she laid an egg lately?

Is her neck loose like her head is too heavy for her to lift?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by