Hen laid 2 eggs then stopped

Megan1306

In the Brooder
Nov 7, 2021
Hello Fellow Chicken Lovers

I have a naked neck hen that is currently 25 weeks old, she laid her first eggs a few weeks ago. They first was perfectly normal (some blood streaks), the next 2 had calcium deposits, the next 2 were shell-less and then none. I imagine if she was egg bound she wouldn’t be around now. Her general behaviour seems quite normal, eating climbing trees.

I haven’t had an egg since. What could it be? EDS?

Thank you.

Hello Fellow Chicken Lovers

I have a naked neck hen that is currently 25 weeks old, she laid her first eggs a few weeks ago. They first was perfectly normal (some blood streaks), the next 2 had calcium deposits, the next 2 were shell-less and then none. I imagine if she was egg bound she wouldn’t be around now. Her general behaviour seems quite normal, eating climbing trees.

I haven’t had an egg since. What could it be? EDS?

Thank you.
Possibly because of the daylight hours decreasing. This is assuming you are in the Northern Hemisphere. It is odd that she laid a few eggs then stopped, but I have had young pullets do this. Unless she free ranges and lays else where (also normal to young, naive birds), I wouldn't worry. I doubt she is egg bound as well, especially since she is acting normal. An egg bound hen would be pretty obvious.

New layers can be glitchy, sporadic, and unpredictable. As long as her other behaviors are normal, I'd chalk this up to the fact that this is new and her system is still figuring things out.

Back
Top Bottom