Hen laid a soft egg with a cord attached.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicks_rule, Dec 14, 2010.

1. chicks_rule

chicks_rule New Egg

Mar 9, 2010
    She's never laid a soft egg before, and I can't find anything that looks like this online. I'd post a picture, but I can't quite figure out how.

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
  3. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    Did she just start to lay?

4. pederson3

pederson3 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2009
    Cody
    I get soft eggs once and a while, so I know what you're talking about. I think its just a defect. Just like once and a while people are born with defects. The egg probably didn't get enough calcium to make the shell hard. I have 21 hens and it probably happens a couple times per year. Sometimes I get teeny tiny eggs too or ones that are almost like an hourglass, like maybe they got stuck for a second on the way out. Its all really rare so I wouldn't fret over it.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    It is perfectly fine. A hen, when she first starts to lay, will lay a lot of oddities while trying to configure her cycle. They can be shelless, soft, double yolked, oddly shaped, sometimes even oddly colored (darker, lighter, speckled)

6. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    I am wondering whether you figured out what caused the egg to be laid with a cord, and how the chicken who laid it fared? My chicken has been laying eggs with a few scratches at the ends. Has anyone had this happen?

Thanks in advance for all replies,

Clare

7. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Quote:You need to post a little more so they knew you aren't a spammer before you can post a pic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by