Hen Laid an Egg Into My Hand

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by centrarchid, Nov 30, 2014.

1. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    This a is a new one on me. I have two hens laying into same nest in the garage. Normally no such wanted but i need broods for teaching kids over winter. One hen went broody with total of 26 eggs in nest so I split clutch in two equal parts and placed haves in separate nests close together. Elder hen, mother has already committed to brooding while pullet is waffling on that. Hen's nest was mover over about a foot so pullet could keep going back to same location. New nest is different and causing some confusion when it comes to getting into it. Pullet tried a couple times of a as many hours to get into new nest but was dead set on walking through feed sacks to get to new nest site and then could not get int properly. On last try she got he head stuck in box as she started to lay. Cock was all upset over this arrangement so I went out to see problem and attempted to help pullet get in. As I reached down to pick her up she plopped a wet egg directly into my left hand.. I need to figure out how to make it easier for her to get in by making the feed sack route more like she remembers.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    LOL - had a pullet do that to a 4-Her in the show ring this summer, not sure who looked more surprised, the kid holding the chicken or the judge.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I have seen hens lay eggs numerous times but tried to avoid disturbing them during the process. This go I simply was not thinking such would actually put an egg into my hand.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Good timing!

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    LOL!

6. 3ChickensNADuck