1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hen laid an egg with no shell this morning, now she seems a bit "off"

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JackieY, Dec 28, 2014.

1. JackieY

JackieY New Egg

May 5, 2014
    Hi all,
    My 6mo golden comet hen seemed a bit lethargic this morning, and then I noticed a big spurt of egg white under the roost - has to be hers, since my only other hen is an aracauna, and there was a blue egg in the nest box this morning. At midday and tonight she seemed off still - haven't seen her eat or drink much. Yesterday she seemed normal. They've been getting layer crumbles (though the latest bag is Blue Seal instead of Nutrena, since that's what the feed store had) and I haven't had a problem with thin shells. They get outside to scratch around, and I feed them occasional treats from my kitchen. The only other thing I've noticed about her eggs is that the last few have each had a small sandpapery deposit on them. Not sure if that's related.
    She's my favorite chicken, so I'm hoping there's a benign explanation or a simple fix!
    Thanks for any help you can offer!
    -Jackie

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You may want to put on a rubber glove and feel inside her vent an inch or two, to see if there is a membrane or any shell fragments still remaining. Also you can feel for a stuck eggs as well. I would probably feed her back some crushed egg shells, and try to coax her to eat by giving her some scrambled egg and put some warm water in her feed to make it soupy. If you can confine her to watch her closely it may be helpful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by