Hen laid egg without a shell, now drooling

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by john14six, Aug 13, 2010.

1. john14six

john14six Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2010
    Hi, My hen laid an egg without a shell.She was sitting on a roost and was very subdued. We put more oyster shells in the feeder. Saw her drooling. Should I be concerned? She has been getting a lot of bread lately. Someone told me that could cause the soft shell. But not sure why she's drooling? She seems fine other than that - walking around the yard. Someone told us to isolate her - is that necessary.

Thanks for any help with this.

2. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    Sometimes mine will lay an egg with no shell and I have one hen that lays 1 a month still. Its normal for her and she gets plenty of oyster shell. She is just that way. The drooling??HUMMM. Are you sure she just didnt drink water and some came up on her/ It happens. Good luck!

3. john14six

Jun 2, 2010
    That's what I'm thinking. There are no other symptoms. She seem to perk up once she ate more oyster shells. But I happen to be on the phone with another "chicken friend" and she said to isolate her immediately in case she is sick. I saw her drool a couple of times - so it made me a little nervous, never saw that happen before:/...first timer here....[​IMG]

thanks!

4. john14six

Jun 2, 2010
    OK, today she has diarrhea. She's been walking around ok, but she is separating herself from the rest of the chickens. Not really staying with the flock like she usually does. Not as active. She is drinking water. but does not want the food (the vegetables we give them as treats)

She was in the nesting box for a while but did not lay an egg. She hasn't laid an egg for a day or two. But that is normal for her. Other than the soft shell egg yesterday.

Any ideas?

thanks

5. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by