1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen laid her first egg a week ago and not another one since

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kwale86, Dec 26, 2010.

1. kwale86

kwale86 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2010
    Sulphur Springs, TX
    I have 3 five month old hens (1 RIR and 2 Auracanas) The RIR laid her first egg in the nest box last week (probably 6 days ago) and has yet to lay another one. Is this normal? She seems to be in good health, eating and acting normal otherwise.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, it's normal. Had one once who waited two weeks between the first and second eggs. Takes awhile to get into normal production sometimes.

3. kwale86

Oct 24, 2010
    Sulphur Springs, TX
    Thanks. If figured it was normal but they free range during the day so I was hoping she wasnt out laying eggs somewhere else where I would never find them.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Well, that's possible, too. You can go on an Easter egg hunt, or just wait and see! I'd take the lazy route and wait a month or so.

5. kwale86

Oct 24, 2010
    Sulphur Springs, TX
    The lazy route is well traveled around here.

6. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Don't worry. Happens a lot. I know folks who waited 4 months in between first and second. Sorry, didn't mean to burst your bubble.

7. Sportsterjeep

Sportsterjeep Creekside Acres Farm

Jun 1, 2010
    Mill Hall PA
    Quote:I've had pullets that free range lay wherever they felt like. I kept them locked in for a week or two till they got the hang of where to lay, then let them free range again. Nothing like weeding a garden bed and finding eggs and nests kicked out in the mulch....

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I've never had one single issue with free rangers laying out on the property. They run back to the coop to lay every time. Not sure why they are so good about it, but they are.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by